This weekend took place the 26th edition of the Ludum Dare event. So as I was busy for half the weekend, I decided to enter the contest, but with only 12 hours to make a game.
This time, with my coworkers from Atelier 801, we decided to work together, not on the same game, but at the same place, the company’s headquarters. It was really a good experience, and it helped me to focus on working.
I’ve used Haxe to make a flash game.
How I prepared
- For each theme in the final theme voting round, I’ve tried to come with a game concept. So before the beginning of the contest, I had lots of ideas.
- I went to bed early the day before, so I was able to get up in the early morning.
What went right
- I found a really simple (minimalist) game idea, where you have to kill fishing boats with potatoes (wait… what??). And of course, do not kill the pink salmons ;)
- I made all the sprites really quickly, because I didn’t want to lose time on this.
- I make flash games for a living, so the code is not really what’s bothering me the most.
- Working with other people also participating to the Ludum Dare contest sets up a really nice working atmosphere.
What could have been better
- The theme :D, because I had other (great?) ideas, but ideas that didn’t really fit with this theme
- To have a little more time…